Stillpoint Mindfulness Training
Mindfulness-Based Trainings & Programs
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in Durango Course Description:
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) in Durango is modeled on the internationally acclaimed program created at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in 1979 by Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD. In the past thirty years, over 17,000 people have graduated from the MBSR course at UMass, many of whom have been referred by over 5,000 physicians. Tens of thousands more individuals have participated in the over 350 MBSR programs now offered in hospitals, clinics and by independent providers on five continents.
Over 250 individuals have now graduated from Stillpoint’s MBSR program since it was first offered in January ’07. Participants have ranged in age from 21 to 84.
A growing body of scientific research at UMass and other academic medical centers has shown that mindfulness and participation in MBSR programs can be significantly and often profoundly beneficial in terms of reducing medical symptoms and psychological distress. A majority of program graduates report:
- an ability to cope more effectively with stressful situations, both short and long-term
- lasting decreases in physical and psychological symptoms
- decreased levels of pain, and an increased ability to cope with pain that may not go away
- an increased ability to relax
- increased emotional stability
- greater sense of energy and well-being and enthusiasm for life
The course consists of 8 weekly classes (2 ½ hours each) and one all-day session on a weekend between the 6th and 7th class. An orientation session usually held two weeks prior to the class start date is a prerequisite for participation. In all, the class offers nearly 30 hours of direct contact and instruction. The class format is experiential and deeply engaging, consisting of direct instruction in mindfulness meditation practices, gentle stretching and mindful yoga, and group dialogue, discussion, and inquiry. Great care is taken to create a safe, supportive, and challenging learning environment. Classes are generally offered in the fall and winter/spring. Please see Schedulule & Fees.
The core focus of the program is intensive training in mindfulness meditation and its applications to the challenges, demands and delights of daily life. Participating in the course does require an on-going commitment to yourself. You will be asked to attend all of the classes, including the all-day session, and practice daily home assignments for 45-60 minutes per day. Participants receive a set of 4 guided meditation CDs and a workbook. You are also strongly encouraged to read Jon Kabat-Zinn’s book, Full Catastrophe Living to support their success in the program.
Listen to an interview with Janet Curry, MA, LPC about Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction on “Telluride…Inside & Out” online magazine by clicking here.
Who Can Benefit?
People who take the MBSR program may look a lot like you. They come to the MBSR program with a wide range of conditions and concerns, including:
Some people enroll in the program with increasing concerns about the uncertainty of the future. Others say they have a general feeling that their lives are out of balance, or that they feel “disconnected” or overwhelmed, even though they are feeling well physically.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in Durango is offered as a complement to your current medical and/or psychological treatments, not as an alternative to them. Our collaborative work with health care providers is based in the understanding that optimal health care in the 21st Century is participatory, combining what our providers can offer us with what each of us can actively do for ourselves.
How to Begin:
Prior to each class cycle an orientation session is held to provide more detailed information about the program, and to offer an experiential “taste” of mindfulness practice. These sessions are free of charge. You are invited to come meet the instructor, bring any questions or concerns, and learn more about not only the form but also the “heart” of this work. This session is required for those planning to enroll in the MBSR class; if you are unable to attend due to a conflict, please contact Janet. For a schedule of dates, times and locations for upcoming orientation sessions, or to enroll in an MBSR in Durango program, please click here.
MBSR Graduate Programs:
Stillpoint is pleased to offer continuing support, encouragement and training to graduates of the MBSR in Durango program. We understand that following the MBSR course it can be challenging to maintain the momentum, focus and enthusiasm to maintain and deepen mindfulness practice. We offer different options for developing and nurturing your practice:
- Monthly MBSR Drop-In Sessions. These are generally held on the 3rd Tuesday or Wednesday of each month, 6:15-7:45 p.m. at the Smiley Building, Room 5. Formal mindfulness practice is followed by dialogue and inquiry. Topics vary. Please see the “Schedule” page and calendar for the most current dates and times. Donations are welcome; suggested range: $15-$25. All are welcome regardless of donation amount.
****DROP-IN SESSION ARE CURRENTLY SUSPENDED. PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES.
- Quarterly All-Day Retreats. Please see Schedule for dates and times. These retreats are free of charge for all MBSR graduates.
- Continuing Classes designed to offer an opportunity to focus more deeply on various themes and topics introduced in the MBSR course. Such courses may include: “Interpersonal Mindfulness,” “Mindful Parenting,” and “Creativity & Mindfulness.” Please check back for new listings for the fall of 2010 and early 2011.
- “Practicum in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction” is offered to those who wish to participate fully as a participant in an MBSR class, as well as delve deeply into the MBSR curriculum, approach to learning, and methodology for promoting greater health and well-being. Practicum participants engage in weekly seminars in addition to the MBSR class. Please inquire for further information.
Other MBSR Programs:
- Customized Corporate MBSR Programs are offered in weekly class and retreat formats.
- Individualized MBSR Instruction is available for those who prefer individualized learning or who have scheduling conflicts with the class times/dates.
Guided Mindfulness Meditation CDs
Janet’s full series of 4 CDs is used in the MBSR in Durango program for the cultivation of mindfulness in formal practice and in everyday life. The CDs may be used by anyone, however, to support you in making time for yourself, in stepping out of the mode of “doing” and into the domain of “being,” and in nourishing yourself deeply by accessing deep states of relaxation and ease. The first CD in the series, a guided Body Scan meditation, is available for purchase separately; each set of 2 CDs may also be purchased.
|Guided Body Scan Meditation CD:||$13|
|Set 1: (2 CDs) Body Scan and Guided Yoga, Series 1:||$20|
|Set 2: (2 CDs) Guided Sitting Meditation & Guided Yoga, Series 2:||$20|
|Complete Set of 4 CDs||$35|
Please contact Janet for more information on the CDs or to place an order for purchase.
Contact Janet Curry, M.A. by phone: 970-779-0611 or email: email@example.com.